The name of this organization shall be Campus Crusade for Christ with its logo "C3" at Gallaudet University.
The purpose of Campus Crusade for Christ, an interdenominational Christian student organization, is to provide the opportunities for spiritual growth and encouragement.
The objective is to help students make an informed decision about their spiritual life and to promote Christian fellowship.
What makes this Campus Crusade for Christ ministry at Gallaudet unique & strategic?
Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C. is the world's only accredited 4 years university for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing students. Deaf students from all over the world come here to study. Bob and Karen Rhoads have the privilege of starting the first campus ministry in the history of school that is dedicated to sharing the gospel with students and helping them grow in their faith.
My wife Karen and I are uniquely suited in this ministry, for we are also deaf. Our deafness has given us common ground with deaf students. They don't always trust people who hears. Many are searching for meaning & purpose in life but have a great misunderstanding about Christianity. They need to hear about God's love & forgiveness in Jesus.
Our vision is not only to win deaf students to Christ but to help them grow in their relationship with Him. A wall exists between deaf students & the many opportunities for Christian growth that are available for only hearing students. Because of our training, Karen & I can help build bridges for them to the hearing Christian world.
Bob and Karen Rhoads joined staff in January 1994.
Campus Ministry Launched in Spring 1995.
Organization Recognized on July 18, 1997.
The Vision for the Deaf Campus Minitries
- To be recognized at Gallaudet University
- A team of deaf & hearing staff members
- Deaf students to join staff or a 1 year internship
- Establishing a Deaf Christian network in the Washington, D.C. area
- Four target areas to set up campus ministry are National Technology Institute for the Deaf in Rochester, NY, California State University at Northridge, South West Institute for the Deaf in Big Springs, TX and other colleges & universities with a population fo deaf students
- Deaf National conference to be established
- Local, Statewide & Nationwide Revivals
- Establishing a ministry of part-time & full-time interpreters and liaisons for Deaf Campus Ministries and Conferences
Facts about our Deaf Communities
- 220 millions of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing around the world.
- 10,000 Deaf go to colleges while 60 millions Hearing go to colleges around the world.
- 2% professed to be Christian
- 1% are active in the Lord's work
Robert & Karen Rhoads with Grace, Noah, Robert & Seth
Bob Rhoads, staff member with Campus Crusade for Christ, has led the campus ministry at Gallaudet for more than 10 years.
3926 Blackburn Lane, #11, Burtonsville, MD 20866
Voice Relay: 711 * Phone/VP: 240-280-2795